Enjoy a Peaceful Sleep
Most of us snore from time to time but the regularity and severity of your snoring could be indicative of an underlying health issue. To figure out the best treatment for snoring and sleep apnoea, it’s important to understand the underlying causes of the problem. Take a deep breath and look at some of the reasons for snoring and what actually causes the noisy breathing.
Why do we snore?
Snoring occurs when the muscles in the airways have relaxed so much that they vibrate as air passes in and out. Not only can the noise of snoring disrupt the sleep patterns of those around you, it can also reduce your sleep quality.
Snoring: common causes
Some of the most common causes of snoring can be:
- Drinking too much alcohol before bedtime
- Obesity or excess weight
- Congestion in the nose and sinuses
- Swollen tonsils or adenoids
- Prescription and over-the-counter medicines
- Your sleeping positions.
How your Dentist can stop your Snoring
While most of us would initially think we needed to consult a pharmacist or doctor to assist with a snoring problem and to advice on the best treatment for snoring and sleep apnoea, it is actually your dentist who offers the most effective solutions. The most effective treatment depends on whether you are simply snoring or whether your heavy breathing is the result of obstructive sleep apnoea, a far worse and potentially dangerous condition.
Effective solutions for Sleep Apnoea
A SOMNODENT device is constructed by a dentist only after completion of a sleep study prescribed by your medical doctor. In essence it holds the lower jaw, and hence the tongue, forward, thus opening up the airway throughout the night. Speak to us first, and we will be happy to discuss the merits of this device, and outline the pathway forward for you or your partner.
Currently, the only solution offered by doctors is a system called ‘Continuous Positive Airway Pressure’ (CPAP) to help sufferers of sleep apnoea get a better night’s sleep. This system uses a small air pump and mask to deliver a consistent flow of air to the patient. As the air is pressurised, it prevents the airway from collapsing and allows the patient to breathe freely throughout the night.
Other treatments for Snoring
A few different products are available for patients in Australia who are struggling with snoring.
- Theravent Snoring Therapy is a handy little device that partially covers the nostrils during inhalation, thereby increasing the pressure inside the patient’s airways and preventing the collapse of the muscles inside.
- The Night Shift Device is designed to encourage patients to sleep only on their side. Many people snore more when sleeping on their backs in a supine position. This device detects the patient’s sleeping position and vibrates when they shift onto their backs. The vibration disturbs the sleep enough to encourage them to move back onto their side and prevent snoring. In addition to helping prevent snoring, the Night Shift Device also monitors your snoring volumes and regularity, so you have a better idea of sleeping patterns and how your dentist can help you sleep more peacefully.
How you can help yourself
In addition to advice you can get from Marriott and Hand, there are also some lifestyle changes you can make that will combat your snoring. If you’re a smoker, the tobacco can cause the sides of your airways to swell and retain fluid, narrowing the airway. By giving up smoking, you’ll be able to eradicate this problem and get a better night’s sleep.
Another health condition that increases the severity of snoring is being overweight or obese. While not every overweight person snores, they are more prone to heavy night-time breathing than a person of average weight. Losing weight helps to lessen the amount of fatty tissue in the back of the throat, opening and the airways and making breathing easier.
If you or your partner suffer from snoring and you’re concerned about the effects it’s having on your sleep-quality and lifestyle, contact an expert at Marriott and Hand today. Expert advice could give you a whole new lease of life.